Tuesday, April 27, 2010

This week seems like it is going to be very stressful and I'm lacking on motivation. To motivate myself to actually want to do something in painting I'm going to use Jay Ryan as my inspiration for today. 
For anyone who went on the trip to Chicago, it is well known that I actually got to meet him and that I bought his book and he signed it, mostly because I want to tell everyone about it since it was probably the best part of the trip for me. 

(the book cover)


His website, The Bird Machine, shows a lot of his past print as well as the ones that are for sale. The color and line quality completely baffle me at the moment, considering I just started screen printing and couldn't get one color with fat lines to print. I'm not for sure, but I think he does photo emulsion instead of masking, which is what I'm currently trying out in painting.  He's a really interesting guy, a bit awkward, in fact I didnt even know it was his book at first when I went to look at it. I said it caught my attention, and he asked if it was because I hated it so much I wanted to push them all on the floor. Which of course wasn't true at all, and I said I loved that guys work and he just causually mentioned, oh yeah, I am that guy. So that was a bit awkward. But its okay, he gave me a high five.

He said he just started messing around with screen printing posters for his own band, Dianogah, (which I haven't listened to yet) but now he does stuff for bands like Modest Mouse and Andrew Bird, which is super amazingly amazing. 

 He recommended I get a copy of Andy McDougal's book "Screen Printing Today", which is on my slowly increasing list of things to buy over the summer. Jennifer said I should try and get a grant for screen printing stuff if I want to try it out next year. We will see how far I get with that. Right now I'm just trying to get a feel for it. 

Anyways this is a print I particularly like and if anyone is interested in seeing the book or trying out screen printing hit me up, its the new summer hobby (along with a thousand others in my overly optimistic mind).


No comments:

Post a Comment